Goji - The Multi-Nutrient Packed Berry
The Goji berry is a tiny, red, teardrop-shaped fruit from the same nightshade family that tomatoes, eggplants and potatoes also belong.
Growing naturally in many parts of Asia, this sweet and slightly sour tasting berry was well-acclaimed in ancient China for its nutritive and medicinal value. In Chinese legends, Goji was considered a symbol of longevity and vitality, used to help maintain a youthful look and boost vitality. Himalayan monks were said to have eaten fresh Goji berries and consumed drinks of the tiny berries steeped in hot water for improved health, stamina, physical and mental alertness as well as general well-being.
Loaded with powerful antioxidants and other essential nutritive components, Goji berries were prescribed in traditional Japanese, Korean and Vietnamese medicine.1 From the East, Goji's popularity has reached the West and the rest of the world and its health benefits confirmed by several studies.
Find out what studies have revealed about this antioxidant-rich berries by reading on...
Also known by names such as wolfberry, matrimony vine and Chinese desert thorn, the Goji (Lycium barbarum) plant is an evergreen shrub that grows up to 2 to 3 meters high. Native to China, Mongolia and the Tibetan Himalayas, the plant's leaves, flowers, berries and root bark are edible and each have their own health enhancing properties and uses in ancient traditional medicine. At present, Goji is known extensively just for its berries or fruits.
Fully ripened Goji berries are deep orange red, about 1/8 inch in diameter and close to 1/2 inch long (0.3 cm and 1.2 cm), ovoid and with a waxy skin. Traditionally, ripe berries are carefully harvested by hand or shaken from the shrub into trays, and then eaten fresh, sun-dried or juiced.
Although commonly available as dried berries that resemble raisins in size and texture, NP Nutra® offers two high quality mostly soluble Goji powders:
- Goji Powder 45% Polysaccharides
- Goji Juice Powder (organic)
Nutrients and Benefits
Goji berries contain an impressive list of nutrients vitamins, mineral and antioxidants:
- Immunity boosting: Contain Vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, C, and E. The level of Vitamin C these tiny berries contain is higher than that of oranges. Also present are dietary amounts of iron, potassium, calcium, selenium and zinc as well as copper, magnesium, phosphorus and manganese in small amounts. Enhancing eye and skin health: Zeaxanthin, lutein, beta-carotene, lycopene, cryptoxanthin.
- Anti-oxidant/anti-inflammatory: Quercetin, kaempferol, myricetin, hesperidin, rutin and Beta-Sitosterol known for their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Aid in nutrient absorption and protein synthesis: Nineteen amino acids, including nine essential amino acids. Goji has more protein than whole wheat.
- Digestive health, heart health and healthy weight: Fiber helps aid digestion, supports healthy heart function and weight management.
- Unsaturated fatty acids including linoleic acid and alpha-linoleic acid.
NP Nutra® offers 2 premium Goji Products:
Goji Powder 45% is a mostly soluble, yellow red powder that is Kosher and food grade certified and is produced in a BRC certified facility.
Goji Juice Powder (organic) is a mostly soluble, fine orange powder that is certified organic, Kosher and food-grade certified and is produced in a BRC certified facility.
Both powders are ideal for use in functional foods and beverages, dietary supplements, pet food products and cosmetics.
Contact us for a free sample and further product information.